Monday, April 29, 2013

Chicken 'n Waffles with Maple Bacon Butter

Ok, so when I was pregnant I had the BEST chicken 'n waffles at Dixie Cream Cafe and I've been thinking about them ever since!  Actually, the dish had always sounded wonderfully delicious to me but I would never have ordered it in the past.  I usually try to eat healthy...until recently.  Having been pregnant for 9 months and nursing now for 6 months, I've been burning extra calories like crazy without doing much "working out" at all.  I'm hungry all the time!  I figure now is the time to indulge because I know at some point very soon, I'll have to get back to my normal healthy eating frame of mind.  You all will probably benefit from that shift along with me!  I love creating healthier versions of the good old recipes we all love like my Baked Chicken Parmesan!

On that note...here is an awesome chicken 'n waffles recipe that's not that bad for you because the chicken is baked not fried!


Chicken 'n Waffles (serves 2)

You will need:


Maple Bacon Butter
2 Tablespoons of butter, softened
1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
1 slice of bacon, cooked and chopped

Chicken
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon seasoned salt like Lawry's
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 stick butter (2 Tablespoons)
buttermilk

Waffles
1/2 cup Aunt Jemima pancake/waffle mix
1/4 + 1/8 cup milk
1/2 of 1 egg
1 Tablespoon oil

Directions:

Start by combining the softened butter with the maple syrup.  Stir in chopped bacon and form a ball.  Refrigerate and safe for later.  You can do this way ahead.


Place thawed chicken breasts in a bowl of buttermilk and let soak for 20 minutes.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine flour, salt, seasoned salt, pepper, and paprika in a bowl.  Set aside.

Cut the 1/8 stick of butter and place in a small baking dish.  Melt in the preheated oven.  When melted, spread around making sure the bottom of the dish is completely covered.

Shake excess buttermilk off chicken breasts and dredge them in the flour mixture until completely coated.  Place the chicken breasts in the baking dish with the melted butter.  Bake for about 15 minutes then turn the breasts over and bake another 15 minutes until done.

While the chicken is baking, combine the pancake/waffle mix, milk, egg, and oil in a bowl.  Stir until there are no lumps.  Let the batter sit for 5 minutes.  Meanwhile, spray waffle iron with nonstick spray and preheat.  Pour the batter onto the iron and cook until steam stops.  Remove waffle and place on a dinner plate.

Top the waffle with the baked chicken.  Serve with the Maple Bacon Butter and a drizzle of pure maple syrup!


Yum!

Baked *Fried* Chicken adapted from bakerette.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...