Friday, March 15, 2013

B is for Blueberries!

I'm so excited about this post!  I love blueberries for so many reasons.  First of all, they are blue...my favorite color!  I also have great memories from my childhood picking blueberries at the Luedtke Blueberry Farm in Wheatfield, Indiana with family.  My grandpa made this sweet soup can into a belt for me and my sister to collect and eat as many blueberries as our little hearts desired!  We definitely ate more than we contributed to the bigger buckets!


But furthermore, they are loaded with lots of healthful benefits!


10 Reasons to Eat Blueberries Everyday

1.  They are full of antioxidants which boost your immune system and prevent infections.

2.  They contain 14% of the recommended daily dose of fiber and nearly a quarter of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C.

3.  Their high fiber content, those lovely antioxidants, and the ability to dissolve "bad cholesterol" help the little berries cure many heart diseases and strengthen the cardiac muscles.

4.  Their fiber can also keep constipation at bay and the vitamins, sodium, copper, fructose, and acids improve digestion

5.  They ward off urinary-tract infections thanks to their compounds that prevent bacteria from adhering to bladder walls.

6.  They contain anthocyanins, which give them their blue hue but also attack cancer-causing free radicals and can even block the growth of tumor cells.

7.  They have brain boosting flavonoids reversing age-related memory loss.

8.  They help keep your vision clear with their carotenoids, flavonoids, and other vitamins.

9.  They are low in calories...less than 100 calories for a whole cup!

10.  And last but not least...The peak of their harvest is in July (my birthday month)!  Woohoo!


I eat blueberries nearly everyday usually in the morning as a side or a topping to whatever I'm having for breakfast.  They are so versatile!  You can put them in your oatmeal or on top of Greek yogurt with a little crunchy cereal and honey, of course!  They can be added to pancakes, muffins, breads, or cakes.  I love them as a topping for vanilla ice cream with a drizzle of hot caramel!  Delish!

Try adding more blueberries to your life!  Your body will thank you. :)

Useful Tip:

Store them in the refrigerator but wait to wash the berries until you are ready to use or eat them.  If you wash and store them in the frig, they are more prone to mold and won't last as long.

2 comments:

  1. I love blueberries too! (So does Miss L!) Great tip about washing them...I didn't know that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe how many health benefits come in such a small berry?! It's amazing!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...