Monday, August 12, 2013

Southwest Cornbread Skillet

I love an easy weeknight meal.  I found this Southwest Cornbread Skillet dish on a favorite blog I follow called Mostly Homemade Mom.  Um, girlfriend, you had me at cornbread!  It was easy to throw together and hearty but not too heavy.


I didn't have a cast iron skillet but found out that my stainless steel Calphalon skillet could go in the oven!  Problem solved!  I also used Jiffy Mix instead of Martha White so that changed the recipe up a little.  You can find the original recipe here.

But here is how I made it...

Southwest Cornbread Skillet

Ingredients:

1 lb lean ground beef
1 packet low sodium taco seasoning
1/2 cup water
15oz can corn, drained
15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
1 egg
1/3 cup milk

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Brown ground beef in skillet and drain.  Add taco seasoning and water.  Cook on medium heat until most of the liquid is absorbed.  Stir in corn and black beans then remove from heat.  In a small bowl, beat egg and milk.  Stir in cornbread mix.  Pour batter over ground beef filling in skillet and bake for 18-25 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown.


What goes better with cornbread than honey?!  Pretty much nothing!!!  You better believe I drizzled some honey over that cornbread and gobbled it up.  My husband thought it needed some spice so he topped his with the some salsa.

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...