Friday, May 30, 2014

Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins

When I was craving Lemon Poppyseed Muffins, I asked my grandma to see if she had a good recipe.  Her recipe cabinet looks like this!


So, I just knew she would have something for me in that stash!  Ask and you shall receive!  She sent me this really cool "basic batter" page from a 1991 edition of Ladies Home Journal.  It has 16 variations of muffins on one page!  There are bran and corn ones, even oatmeal and plain types.  I already had a Lemon Poppyseed Muffin mix in my cabinet but I will definitely try the homemade version from this sheet next time!

Here are the Oatmeal Blueberry ones and how to make them:


Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins

Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup milk
1 large egg
2/3 cup old-fashioned oats
1 1/3 cup flour (I used 1 cup whole wheat and 1/3 cup all-purpose white.)
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, tossed with 1 Tablespoon flour
For topping:
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease twelve 2 1/2 inch muffin pan cups.

In a medium bowl, whisk together wet ingredients:  melted butter, milk, egg, and oats.  Let stand 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients:  flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.

Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until combined.  Fold in the blueberries.

Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full.

Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over muffins.  Bake 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool in pans on wire rack for 5 minutes.  Remove from pans and serve warm.  Or cool completely, wrap well and freeze up to 1 month.  To reheat, loosely wrap each muffin in a paper towel and microwave for 15-20 seconds.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...