Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Sleep, Baby, Sleep

Awhile back, I did a post on napping.  My little guy is still taking a good long afternoon nap, knock on wood, I hope it continues.  Being a working stay-at-home mom, this is really the only time I have to get any sort of focused work completed.  Sure, I can do little things here and there when he is awake, and believe me, he does love to help.  But generally, I try to be attentive and available for him during the non-sleep times.  After he goes down for the night, it's pretty hard to get motivated to sit at my computer to work on a spreadsheet or reconcile an account in Quickbooks, so that leaves me with about 2 1/2 hours each afternoon (if I'm lucky) that is dedicated to work, whatever that might consist of on a given day.

As my little guy grows, his sleep needs change as well.  This chart I found on BabyCenter.com has come in very helpful when making sure he is getting the shut-eye he needs.

AgeNighttime SleepDaytime Sleep *Total Sleep
1 month88 (inconsistent)16
3 months105 (3)15
6 months113 1/4 (2)14 1/4
9 months113 (2)14
12 months11 1/42 1/2 (2)13 3/4
18 months11 1/42 1/4 (1)13 1/2
2 years112 (1)13
3 years10 1/21 1/2 (1)12
*Note: number of naps in parentheses

According to Parents.com, studies show that many kids stop napping around age 4; however, little ones are encouraged to continue daytime sleep (or at least quiet time) throughout their preschool and kindergarten years.

"Without enough sleep, we all become tall two-year olds."
~Author, JoJo Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...